| Unit Description|
Care Site Description
St. Vincent Healthcare is part of SCL Health System, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health â?? and hope â?? to our patients.
- Billings, Mont. (est. 1898)
- Largest tertiary care hospital and Level II Trauma Center in Montana serving patients in eastern and south-central Mont. and northern Wyo.
- 2,100 associates, 529 medical staff
- 286 beds (201 are staffed)
Services & Expertise
- Cancer Care
- Childrenâ??s Healthcare
- Comprehensive Regional Services
- Heart Center
- Orthopedic Services
- Womenâ??s Services
St. Vincent Healthcare is an award-winning hospital providing person-centered care. We are People Healing People throughout the communities that we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable.
Analyzes, codes, abstracts, and compiles medical records of patients of health care delivery system to document patient condition and treatment by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Medical Record Coder
- Abstracts and codes diagnoses, operations, and procedures from health records by using appropriate classification systems, standards, and procedures.
- Prepares statistical reports required by applicable legal, accrediting, and/or licensing regulations and office policy.
- Assigns patient severity of illness index ratings, supplemental codes, and other data as necessary.
- Compiles information and data from health records and computer systems for use in the evaluation of quality of care and utilization review.
- Monitors completion of medical records in accordance with time standards.
- Audits incomplete records and prepares reports on delinquencies.
- Confers with doctors, nurses, and other health personnel to assure complete, current, and accurate medical records.
- Compiles and maintains logs, reports, and statistical records, and researches records to locate health data as requested.
- Maintains and utilizes variety of health record indexes and storage and retrieval systems.
- Operates computer to process, store, and retrieve health information.
- Assists in identification of medical records needed for research, using both manual and computer indexes.
- Responds to patient billing and statement inquiries.
- Relays financial information/policies regarding co-pays to new patients, plus policy for procedures.
- Assures pre-certification is obtained for treatment, lab, CT and bone marrow biopsies.
- Assures active coverage for insurance from the patient.
- Gathers benefit information by calling insurance companies to assure benefits meet guidelines.
- Reports to other billing employees the pertinent information and documents in computer.
- Inputs new patient insurance information into Mosaiq and Epic.
- Checks schedule for treatment pre-authorization and notifies chemo RNï¿½s of treatment that needs specific information to complete pre-cert.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Current CPC certification or ability to obtain within three months of hire.
- Minimum of three years experience in a front office position in a physician clinic setting preferred.
- General applied knowledge of medical terminology, CPT4, ICDCM, HCPCS, Medicare, Medicaid and insurance guidelines.
- Strong knowledge of customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment.
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position.