Under general supervision and using computer systems and devices; collects and delivers laboratory specimens that are utilized in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of physical conditions. Accessions patient specimens and related patient demographic information and collates with physician orders. Processes and delivers specimens in a timely manner to ensure patient testing requirements are met. Ensures and promotes quality in patient contacts, communication for patient and family safety and good departmental relationships.
This shift is 4:00am-12:30pm
Education and Experience
1. Graduation from High School or possession of a GED certificate, required.
2 . Successful completion of phlebotomy or medical assistant training with a certificate of completion, preferred.
3. One year of experience performing as a phlebotomist in a medical laboratory or a high volume clinic and/or phlebotomy draw station, preferred.
4. Hospital experience, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of laboratory terminology and equipment.
2. Knowledge of safety and infection control practices to ensure a safe environment of care.
3. Ability to work professionally with patients.
4. Skills necessary to successfully perform phlebotomy in a variety of age groups.
5. Ability to handle patient specimens and laboratory equipment.
6. Ability to work independently.
7 . Ability to perpetuate teamwork.
8. Familiar with regulatory compliance in quality control and competency requirements.
9. Good communication and customer relation skills to ensure patient safety and quality processes in the laboratory.
10. Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented work in identifying, accessioning, and handling specimens for processing and testing.
Computers and Technology
1. Basic computer and hospital/laboratory information system skills, required.
2. Experience using EPIC Beaker laboratory information system, preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and Registration
1. Current Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider Certification/CPR, required.
2. Phlebotomy Certificate, preferred.
Location Denver Health
Work Type Full time
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, efficient, high-quality academic health care system that is considered a model for the nation. The Denver Health system includes the Rocky Mountain Regional Level I Trauma Center, a 525-bed acute care medical center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 8 family health centers, 15 school-based health centers, the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, the Denver Public Health Department, an HMO, and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary safety net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3 billion in care for the uninsured in the last ten years. Denver Health is a leader in performance and quality improvements and remains financially secure, in part, due to its nationally recognized implementation of lean principles in healthcare. Denver Health is a major resource to the community, serving approximately 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located just south of downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
"Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Denver Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class."
Internal Number: 989
About Denver Health
Take your career to the next level at Denver Health, where we offer a robust benefits package and endless opportunities for growth. Denver Health is a nationally-ranked, locally-trusted, premier healthcare institution located in the heart of Denver, Colorado.Twenty-five percent of all Denver residents, or approximately 150,000 individuals, receive their health care here. We are known as an integrated health care system that encompasses multidisciplinary academic specialties, a community health system, a level I adult trauma center, pediatric emergency and urgent care center home to Denver Public Health and many of the nation’s leaders in medicine.