Under the general supervision of the Manager, Ambulatory Pharmacy services, the incumbent in this position will be responsible for the overall management of their designated pharmacy, supervision of the daily activities of the staff assigned to pharmacy operations and for all operational activities and processes designed to provide evidence-based and cost effective medication dispensing, monitoring, distribution, customer service, and appropriate patient care. Provides leadership and oversight for training, education, and competency of pharmacy staff. Recruits, hires, supervises, and evaluates pharmacy staff. Ensures compliance with all Federal and State regulations, and departmental policies. Maintain team's adherence to policies and procedures, provides oversight of payroll and scheduling, and provides staffing support as necessary. Provides leadership and oversight for medication safety and security and for policy development and implementation in his/her Pharmacy.
* Direct oversight of daily pharmacy activities including supervision of all assigned staff (pharmacists, technicians, students, interns, support staff) to ensure services are provided in an accurate and timely manner.* Coordinates and works with other colleagues (e.g. physician, nursing, ancillary staff, etc.) to assist in defining policies and procedures governing the delivery of ambulatory pharmacy services in coordination with the management/leadership team(s) and in compliance with all applicable regulatory standards, and state and federal laws.* Follows all applicable departmental and organizational policies and procedures.* Attends or participates in other programs, committees, in-service meetings and functions required by the pharmacy department.* Develops and implements work schedules and assignments to ensure appropriate staffing. As needed, finds coverage during periods of high volume, staff shortages and emergencies. Assures that approved work schedule is posted in a timely manner.* Monitors daily staff attendance to assure compliance with organizational and departmental policy. As necessary, due to employee absence, redirects work schedule assignments to assure that critical positions are staffed.* Identifies training and staff development needs of employees and ensures appropriate training provided.* Communicates and trains, or coordinates with trainers, to appropriately train staff regarding policies & procedures. Must monitor staff's adherence to these policies and take action when they are not followed.* Works with the Manager, Ambulatory Pharmacy Services to provide and document initial and ongoing training to staff as required.* Sets clear expectations for staff by developing job specific expectations and behaviors for each position supervised; clearly communicates expectations to each employee and establishes the expectations as job requirements and performance appraisal components.* Conducts all performance evaluations on time, working with each employee at least annually to set specific behavioral and professional goals. * Recognizes positive behavior and contributions to the organization using praise, appreciation and rewards.* Delivers positive customer service and follow up on customer and employee issues/complaints. Promotes positive interpersonal (customer) relationships with fellow employees. Treats these individuals with courtesy, dignity, empathy, trust, and respect; consistently displays courteous and respectful verbal and non-verbal communications.* Works cooperatively with other staff members to enhance the team concept.* Actively identifies problems and opportunities for improvement; identifies appropriate solution and involves others in the implementation process.* Ensures all legal and professional pharmacy requirements are adhered to.* Prepares various reports and maintains records or supervises the maintenance of records as required or requested by the Manager, Ambulatory Pharmacy Services.* Demonstrates sound problem solving/decision making skills with practical, efficient, economical, and reasonable solutions. * Establishes a presence and working relationship with nursing staff and providers involved in the care of Denver Health patients in designated clinic or area.* Responsible for assigned pharmacies Colorado Board of Pharmacy and federal licensure requirements and compliance. * Ensures all drug distribution and medication management occurs in an accurate, safe and timely manner.* Demonstrates leadership by example in projecting a positive attitude.* Responsible for all aspects of the medication management including preparation, distribution, storage, quality assurance, training, medication safety, and regulatory compliance with USP 797 and 800 regulations, for their designated pharmacy.* Responsible for interviewing, hiring, corrective action and termination of staff as assigned.* Sets clear expectations for staff by developing job specific expectations and behaviors for each position supervised; clearly communicates expectations to each employee and establishes the expectations as job requirements and performance appraisal components.* Ensures all applicable 340B regulations are followed.* Manages the storage and distribution of narcotics and other controlled substances.* Provides oversight to the Supply Chain to ensure that stock is maintained in accordance with manufacturer's requirements and any outdated medications are removed from active stock in a timely manner for reverse distribution processing.* Serves as a mentor to subordinates and junior staff members.* Serves as a preceptor for PGY1 residents and for students.* Leads and coordinates experiences for interns, residents and students.* Manages and oversees the maintenance of pharmacists and technician training, reference, and audit tools.* Leads all quality and medication safety initiatives for his/her area.* Applies LEAN methodology to problem solving and leads pharmacy's lean projects, including using data to design and implement quality improvement projects.* Adheres to, complies with and demonstrates support for the mission and values of Denver Health. Supports and adheres to the Denver Health Values of Trust, Respect, & Excellence and the Standards of Behavior.* Adheres to Denver Health and departmental attendance guidelines.* Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Ability to lead a team, with a strong emphasis on people management and coaching employees. * Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to interact with other members of the healthcare team and with pharmacy leadership. * Strong organizational skills. * Knowledge of training and supervisory techniques. * Ability to instruct, direct, and evaluate employees. * Knowledge of applicable human resources policies and procedures. * Strong project management skills. * Ability to progress pharmacy retail and specialty operations in alignment with both the organizational and departmental strategic plan. * Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of pharmacy. * Thorough knowledge of the calculation of doses and the preparation and use of. * Thorough knowledge of pharmacy, USP, drug, narcotic, and related state and federal laws. * Thorough knowledge of inventory control and record keeping related to the work. * Ability to recognize physical, chemical, and therapeutic incompatibilities and drug interactions. * Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports. * Strong knowledge of 340B regulations and standards of practice.
* Doctorate Degree (Required) * PharmD required.
* Three years of pharmacy experience, required. * Applicable PGY2 Residency will count towards managerial experience.
* Licensed Pharmacist* Possession of a valid and active Pharmacist License with ability to reciprocate to Colorado, required; active license in Colorado, preferred. All Certifications and Licenses required for this job must be kept current as a condition of continued employment.
Work Type Full time
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, efficient, high-quality academic health care system that is considered a model for the nation. The Denver Health system includes the Rocky Mountain Regional Level I Trauma Center, a 525-bed acute care medical center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 8 family health centers, 15 school-based health centers, the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, the Denver Public Health Department, an HMO, and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary safety net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3 billion in care for the uninsured in the last ten years. Denver Health is a leader in performance and quality improvements and remains financially secure, in part, due to its nationally recognized implementation of lean principles in healthcare. Denver Health is a major resource to the community, serving approximately 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located just south of downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
"Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Denver Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class."
Internal Number: 3754
About Denver Health
Take your career to the next level at Denver Health, where we offer a robust benefits package and endless opportunities for growth. Denver Health is a nationally-ranked, locally-trusted, premier healthcare institution located in the heart of Denver, Colorado.Twenty-five percent of all Denver residents, or approximately 150,000 individuals, receive their health care here. We are known as an integrated health care system that encompasses multidisciplinary academic specialties, a community health system, a level I adult trauma center, pediatric emergency and urgent care center home to Denver Public Health and many of the nation’s leaders in medicine.