Location: Miami, Florida
Works under the direction of management. Performs phlebotomy procedures and collects specimens for Nicklaus Children's Hospital, LabCorp, and Quest Diagnostics adhering to policies and procedures of the department.
Job Specific Duties
- Prepares site for blood draw, following infection control procedures per hospital policies and procedures.
- Follows the Patient Five Rights to ensure quality and safe patient care. Performs correct patient preparation for specimen(s) to be collected.
- Maintains current skills required to perform specimen collection.
- Ensures stat, timed, routine, and difficult blood draws are performed within the required time without interfering with quality of work.
- Maintains positive interpersonal communication with physicians, patients, customers, and MCHS staff.
- Centrifuges and separates blood and urine per orders for outpatient phlebotomy.
- Documents within the same shift on the temperature control logs, eyewash stations, and Quest and Labcorp pick up forms (count of specimens).
- Provides buddy coverage with team members and outpatient lab to optimize work flow.
- Monitors inventory and ensures supplies are adequate on every shift.
- Performs quality control, utilizes material prior to expiration, and maintains required records according to the guidelines of licensing and regulatory agencies.
- Follows all Infection Control standards and ensures proper use of Personal Protective Equipment per hospital policy and procedures to ensure safe patient care.
Minimum Job Requirements
- American Heart Association BLS American Heart Association (AHA) BLS- maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- 1-3 years Phlebotomy experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School education or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy certification highly preferred.
- Completion of a phlebotomy course is preferred.
- Knowledge of Cerner preferred.
- Ability to communicate promptly, clearly, and courteously both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate in English with all hospital staff and customers.
- Ability to interpret and analyze information to perform laboratory procedures.
- Ability to use computers to enter and access patient data.
- Able to accurately relay patient test results to appropriate people.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform laboratory techniques and use laboratory instruments.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Able to work cooperatively and constructively with physicians, patients, families, and co-workers.
- Ability to problem-solve to adapt standard clinical procedures to the individual client's need.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Knowledge of and ability to restrain when necessary.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus