Location: Warwick, New York
The Personal Care Assistant is responsible for assisting with the personal care activities of a designated group of residents under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse. The Personal Care Assistants are trained to work independently during the nightshift when there is no nurse scheduled and are responsible for completing a 24 hour report. When needed, the Nursing Supervisor at S/P or Administrator-On-Call can be contacted for assistance.
- Provides direction and some assistance to the residents with: eating, grooming, shaving, ordinary care of nails, bathing, dressing, and maintenance of teeth/mouth.
- Assists the residents with toileting and personal cleanliness as needed to maintain suitable hygiene.
- Demonstrates the ability and knowledge to use appropriate equipment in a safe and accurate manner for treatments and procedures for the residents.
- Notifies licensed nursing personnel of situations requiring immediate attention.
- Supports the residents with walking and ordinary movement from the bed to chair or wheelchair.
- Promotes self-care and independence in accordance to the resident's capabilities.
- Assists with self-administration of medications.
- Records monthly weight for residents.
- Participates in transporting the residents to central dining and helps with the serving of meals.
- Changes the resident linens on the designated day.
- Participates in the activity programs with the residents.
- Assists in maintaining residents' clothing, personal belongings and equipment in a clean, safe and orderly manner.
- Participates in infection control processes designed to reduce transmission of infection.
- Responds appropriately in emergency situations including fire-safety procedures.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the position by supporting established policies through regular and punctual attendance, being cooperative during emergencies, and adapting well to scheduling changes.
- Communicates effectively, understands instructions, and expresses the Resident's Bill of Rights.
- Assumes responsibility for attending in-service classes as provided by the facility and mandated by New York Department of Health and Social Services.
- Possess an understanding attitude towards a variety of residents, some of whom are in disturbed conditions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Previous experience in personal care preferred. Certificate from approved training course
High School graduate or equivalent
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Mount Alverno Center